Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Moon Okapi

18"x24"
I sketched in a okapi - an animal that has a head like a giraffe, a body like a horse, and stripes on its rump like a zebra. I painted the background a dark pretty blue to cover up the white spots. I painted the animal hot pink red color. It took awhile because I had to paint the stripes on his rump pink. I had to paint around his stripes on his front legs and also on his face. I repainted his stripes and body to make it more intense. I drew a crescent moon on his rump. It reminds me of the moon behind some clouds. We drew antlers on his head. I painted dark blue antlers on the whole background around the animal. I highlighted all the right sides and top of the antler a lighter blue where the sun is hitting it. I painted the right side of the crescent moon orange twice and I also painted the left side of the moon a dark pretty green. I painted the moon twice to make it brighter. The hardest part was to paint in between the stripes. Then I painted the stripes on his back, front legs, parts of his body and face - lime green. I painted all the stripes green again to make them brighter. It is hard to paint the stripes because they're narrow. I painted the animal's antlers white twice to make them stand out. I also painted the feet white to balance it out with the antlers. I painted the eyes and the bottom lip orange. The shades on the okapi's body, parts of the face, and legs are a dark purple by mixing red and blue  together. I shaded the green stripes on his legs and his face a dark green. I then shaded all the left side of his antlers and feet a light blue for the dark side. I painted light purple highlights on his back, right side of his head, legs, and down his chest. Then I put highlights in the green stripes of his legs, face, and ears. The highlights are yellow green and are on all right side where the light is shining. The tail is blue on the left side for shades and white on the right side for highlights. We outlined the eyes with dark green and also did the same on his nose. This painting was finished on November 20, 2011. This painting is called the Moon Okapi. It is bright because it contrasts with the dark background. 

SOLD

No comments:

Post a Comment