Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Floating leaves on the water

18"x24"
I sketched leaves floating on water. I painted the background dark blue, black, and a lighter blue for the water ripples and reflection from the water. I painted the biggest leaf on the center left red orange, green with orange stripes blended into the veins. The two leaves at the top are yellow orange with green blended into them on the edge and in the middle. The one on the left of the big leaf is yellow with green blended into it. The leaf closet to the big leaf on the right hand bottom corner is green. Next to the  green leaf is a leaf that is orange yellow. I painted bright blue lines in the black area around the leaves to show that it's water. I did the same with blue and black mixed together and drew lines around the leaves on light blue areas to show it's water reflecting. I painted yellow orange lines on the leaves for their veins. One leaf vein is pure orange. I painted yellow water droplets on the leaves twice for it to be bright. I repainted the right side of the leaf yellow and blended in orange bands following the veins. I painted the veins orange yellow and the water droplets yellow. I painted  red orange circles around all the water droplets and the yellow leaves. On the big leaf, the top left section of the leaf are circles of water droplets that are dark red. On all the water droplets the top of the droplets are a thin line and the bottom line is thick. I outlined the underside and the right side of all the leaf veins a dark red for shades. Shadows are areas that the sun does not shine on. The top and left sides of the leaves had no dark red because that's where the sun is shining on them. It took 4 sessions to complete this painting. I completed this painting on October 30,2011. This painting is loud and bright. It sticks out because the dark background contrasts against the bright colors leaves.

SOLD
18"x24"
Stretched Canvas

No comments:

Post a Comment